Account Director – Retail
Lead the development of existing and new business within the retail sector for both branded and private label products. Customer management activity will be either direct with retailers or through a combination of brokers and/or distributors (varies across the customer base). Focus on generating volume growth at targeted or above margins. Lead customer penetration activity to include business forecasting and planning; managing existing listings for growth and/or improved profitability; securing listings of new products; filling listing voids from current NAF portfolio; maximizing distribution of NAF products directly through the retailer or via the broker/distributor network. Effectively manage trade spending investment with customers to optimize ROI. Consistently analyze customer performance to ensure performance vs plan is achieved both in terms of volume and margin. Proactively identify gaps to plan or risks to fiscal budgets and identify actions to mitigate or eliminate risk. Aggressively pursue opportunities for growth or margin improvement through customer analytics and opportunity identification.
In addition to external customer and stakeholder management the position must be the “customer champion” internally for NAF to ensure the voice-of-the-customer is heard and understood by internal stakeholders and thus effectively balance the needs of the customer and the needs of NAF.
Customer Account Management: Demonstrate ability to drive sales results while providing best in class customer service.
- Generate sales plans (strategies and tactics) that generate consistent sales and/or margin growth for branded and/or private label products;
- Implement promotion plans with accounts to deliver sales growth of branded items; utilize promotional planning tactics for private label when applicable;
- Broaden NAF relationship penetration with accounts cross functionally as well as with the accounts’ senior management;
- Effectively launch and gain distribution of all new products;
- Optimize the support of distributors, where applicable, to gain maximum listings at all accounts serviced; leverage distributor resources to gain greater share of category and improved margins;
- Leverage consumer research and syndicated data to gain consistent and improved support for NAF items, both branded and private label, where applicable;
- Effectively manage trade spending investment (promotional spending and slotting allowances) to gain acceptable ROI;
- Provide regular business reviews with accounts to ensure business performance remains on track vs. plan and that issues are dealt with proactively, or when they surface, expeditiously;
- Utilize customer feedback and data to provide accurate forecasting to assist in NAF demand planning
- Identify opportunities for growth with existing customers including growth of current listings as well as leverage new product introductions for incremental volume and margin;
- Drive increased retail distribution of all listed items;
- Manage the broker network to ensure NAF receives fair share of attention from the broker; ensure broker is providing fair ROI for fees paid;
- Mobilize brokers to ensure NAF customer plans are consistently and effectively executed;
- Work with the sales and marketing teams by providing information and insights that can benefit the broader team.
Business Planning/Financial Accountability
- Effectively track sales dollars, sales volume and margin in territory vs plan and year ago to understand how all metrics can be optimized;
- Forecast volume requirements for accounts, both regular and promoted volume, to assist in NAF demand planning;
- Participate in NAF S&OPP meetings to assist Manufacturing and Finance in gaining a forward view on volume expectations;
- Provide regular business updates to CCO to reflect business results vs plan and year ago and to identify risks and opportunities versus plan;
- Capture pipeline opportunities to reflect customer, product and probability-adjusted volume and margin potential;
- Develop annual business plans and budgets to drive territory support and investment
- Provide annual review of broker performance including business performance and commission trend review.
- Accountable for both Branded and Private Label sales and margin;
- Responsible for managing a range of National Accounts, Key Accounts and Regional Chains and Independents;
- Manage a network of brokers and distributors as vital stakeholders within the supply chain and optimizing performance and value of both;
- Satisfying the needs of internal customers including CSR’s and various functional stakeholders;
- Minimum five years of key account experience with national or large regional chains:
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong business and financial acumen: business analytics skills, customer P&L agility, ability to plan, track and evaluate trade spending;
- Ability to make recommendations for solutions based on information gathered and analyzed
- Understanding of the total business process and procedures
- Ability to troubleshoot problems and find profitable solutions
- Broker and Distributor management experience with both large and small organizations
- Understanding of smaller company growth opportunities and expectations
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in business
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office applications with particularly developed skills in Excel, and PowerPoint
- Well-developed analytical skills
- Advanced ability to work with and contribute to teams; well-developed teamwork skills
- Experience with CRM tools/systems an asset
NATURAL AMERICAN FOODS is one of the largest processors of honey and other natural sweeteners in the United States. With headquarters in Michigan and West Coast operations in San Bernardino, California, we serve a diverse customer base across the United States.